PMP certification overview
Disclaimer: Contents are not reviewed for correctness and are not endorsed or recommended by our firm or any vendor. They are subject to change at any time without prior notice by PMI.
The Project Management Professional (PMP) program is the formal Certification of Project Managers. This program helps to ensure the highest professional and ethical standards within the community of practicing Project Management Professionals.
Who should apply?
The PMP recognizes demonstrated competence in leading and directing project teams. If you’re an experienced project manager looking to solidify your skills, stand out to employers and maximize your earning potential, the PMP credential is the right choice for you.
To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:
- A four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
- A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
If you do not meet the PMP requirements, you may want to look at the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification.
How to Apply
- To apply for the PMP, register and log in to PMP’s online system to get started. A printable PMP application form is also available.
- Need more information? Get more information on the PMP’s role and requirements. For a more detailed look, consult the PMP Handbook.
- If you’re ready to take the exam, the PMP exam preparation can get you started. If you plan to take the exam in 2011, please note that an updated version will be used starting 31 August 2011. Find out more about the forthcoming update to the PMP credential exam.
The PMP Application can be completed either online (at www.pmi.org) or with paper forms.
The Application consists of three sections:
1. PMP Certification Examination Application Form
This section consists of three pages and includes all of your general information: name, address, contact information, educational background. This section can be completed quickly.
2. Project Management Education Form
This section is a one-page form that asks you to document your 35 contact hours in project management training. This section can be completed quickly.
3. Project Management Experience Verification Form
This section uses a two-page form to document each of your projects during your experience period. This is the most time-consuming portion of the Application. It involves doing some spadework gathering all the information necessary to complete this section. Summarize your project management experience, include the project names, and companies for whom you did the projects.
Your Certification Fee must accompany your application (credit card only if online). The fee is $405 for PMI members, $555 for non-members.
PMI takes around 10 to 14 working days to process your Application. Once your Application is approved, you will receive an eligibility letter with identification code and detailed testing information. You must take your exam within six months. Application Forms are available for review and/or download anytime at www.pmi.org.
Caution: Be thorough, accurate and honest with your Application information. To help maintain quality and integrity in the PMP Certification Program, PMI audits a significant percentage of accepted Certification Applications. It’s best to assume that your application will be one of them. The audit process involves formal verification by your employer(s) and schools. It is best not to exaggerate any of your application information. If invalid information is found during the audit process, you will be stripped of your Certification. If you do not quite meet any of the eligibility criteria, it is best to wait until you can honestly satisfy the criteria before applying.
Disclaimer: Contents are not reviewed for correctness and are not endorsed or recommended by our firm or any vendor. They are subject to change at any time without prior notice by PMI. PMP, PMI are registered trademarks of PMI.org
To inquire about our 35 hours training course click here.